Trying to count the times in the past that I have felt brokenhearted and crushed in spirit made me delirious. Don't get me wrong...happy times abound in my life. But the hurt times, the hard times, seem to stand out because of the pain involved. Joy brings pleasure and despite what Queen's lyrics say, (pain is so close to pleasure), I don't think pain and pleasure feel the same or are close at all. There are several chemicals in our brain that stimulate pain, pleasure and/or block them. ( http://www.angelfire.com/hi/TheSeer/seratonin.html.) The severe stressors that heartbreak can bring on, help these chemicals to kick in and nearly and sometimes ruin us. I am talking about the debilitating pain that breaks a heart and crushes us beyond total repair. After reading a few studies on the subject of heartbreak, I am humbled that I really never experienced what many heartbroken and crushed individuals experience.
My heart has been hurting for two such couples as of late and I want to lift them up. They do not know each other and live on opposite ends of the country. Both of these sets of friends had the immense joy of being told they were having twin baby boys. The excitement was palpable and the prayers were raised in thanksgiving for the miracles of these lives to join theirs. Plans were made, names were chosen and preparations were made for the joyous arrivals. Family and friends and well, entire communities alike were buzzing with anticipation of these beautiful blessings. Suddenly, within weeks of each other, The Hanna's and the Mathews' were delivering babies not yet ready for this world. Noah and Evan and Liam and Tate came into their families lives and lingered only briefly, just long enough to cement their places in the hearts of all who loved them and waited for them. This is heartbreak; this is spirit crushing! My heart hurts so often when I see a family with a new baby or a glowing mommy ready to deliver her sweet bundle of love. I always wonder how Jenn and Anna feel when they see what I see. How are they supposed to get beyond this? How do you live again after a loss such as this? I strive to be a faithful believer and I know without question that Psalm 34:18 is true. The Lord does remain close and will save them and stay with them. He does not take the pain away. As far as I can tell, it will never go away. These sweet babies lives will never leave their families. They are lasting members of the Hanna and Mathews families but much greater is this; they are forever members of the family of God and they are there with God celebrating before us. I smile to think about these four little boys, tearing through the streets of heaven; laughing and playing, rambunctious and wild at heart. Thank you, God for these little lives, though ever so briefly here.
Dear Father in Heaven~
Please take these two couples with so much loss and sadness and hold them firm. Show them joy in living even without the boys here with them. Give them the hope that lets them know with surety that they will see them and hold them again one day. Keep the boys memories alive in the hearts of all those who love their parents. Help us all to be ever mindful of their struggles and uphold them in prayer and be there to support them in their pain. Bless them Lord, with other children to love and remind them always of their boys in Heaven. Help each of us to remind ourselves of others who are brokenhearted and crushed in pain and to be patient and loving and present for them. Soften my heart, Lord.
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment